Red Curry Chicken

Thursday, April 29, 2010




I just love curry! I don’t know what it is exactly, maybe it the creamy coconut or the spiciness or just the aroma of the spices itself. Of course, there only a million different kinds of curries out there, but sadly to say I only had experiences Thai, Chinese and Cambodian curry. In fact I think almost every Asian culture have their version of flavorful curries. And from what I heard that it is originated from no where else but the king of spice Indian.

So I will try to elaborate some of my favorite curries recipe. And since I already started with Thai curry, I will continue until I’ve cover all of it. With Thai curry, it actually same time by using ready made curry paste that is just as good as making it from scratch. And I can tell you that most Thai restaurant use this same paste to make their curry. It makes sense since it very time consuming to grind your own curry paste, especially for a restaurant. Although, if you do find a restaurant that makes their own curry paste, let me know, because I would love to try it too!

Now as for the method of cooking this, there not much to tell you except that do not burn the coconut milk..lol It happen you know…from experience!



Ingredients:

1 Can small coconut milk (maploy)
6 Oz Chicken thigh or breast sliced into thin strip
1 Cup mushrooms or straw mushrooms
1 Cup bamboo shoots
1 Handful of basil leaves
2 Asian kaffir lime leaves
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp of water
1 to 1 ½ Tbsp of red curry paste
2 Tbsp of fish sauce
½ Tsp of kosher salt
1 Tbsp sugar

Methods:

1. Heat skillet to hot, add oil and bring to hot.
2. Add the curry paste and stir until aroma.
3. Pour the coconut milk (cream) with water and stir until all the curry paste is dissolves and blend into the coconut milk.
4. Now add the chicken, salt, fish sauce, sugar and stir until cook about 8-10 minutes.
5. When the chicken is fully cook, add the mushroom and bamboo shoots. Cook for another 5 minutes and remove.
6. Top with basil leaves.

Serve hot over steam rice or sticky rice…Yummy!

Note: Sometime Thai restaurant would add green bean and carrot to Americanize the dish, but it not the authentic version. Sure look colorful and pretty though.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Taste Of Spice Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino