Korean B.B.Q

Monday, April 19, 2010



Yum..Yum…just typing this give me the craving for Korean B.B.Q again. Maybe I will make it again this Sunday! Anyway, this is a very easy dish to prepare, but the cooking part is a bit tedious and messy. What I meant by that is the grilling, splattering of grease, the cleaning the grill process. Good thing I have a rule in my household. I cook and the kids clean. So that will take the load of the whole ordeal of cleaning afterward. Plus this way I enjoy cooking all the more and they get to eat more wonderful dishes. That I nice trade off, wouldn’t you think?

Ok, back to the recipe. Now this recipe is what you would consider starting from scratch. If you don’t have the time or don’t want all the hassle, well here a tip for you, just use the ready bottle Korean B.B.Q version called bobbique sauce. The only tiny problem is that sometime depending on the brand it doesn’t always taste as good. Well it isn’t for me and I end up adding the oyster sauce, fish sauce and some rice wine to make it more flavorful. And it actually turned out pretty good. I only do this when I don’t have a lot of time in my hand or not enough ingredients in my pantry. So don’t be afraid to experiment a little. You’ll never know, you might find your family recipe to pass down for generations to come. That how I got most of mine recipes is through trails and errors….lots of errors..






Ingredients:

1 Lb boneless beef short rib precut into strip
2 Tbsp garlic
2 Tbsp black pepper
½ Tsp salt
2 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp oyster sauce
2 Tbsp fish sauce (optional)
11/2 Cup water
1 Cup soy sauce
1/2 Cup sugar
1 Onion grated

Garnish:

1 Onion sliced and separate rings
½ Stick butter cut into cube
1 Head red leaf lettuce

Dipping Sauce:

¼ Cup low sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
½ Minced chili sauce
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp minced scallion

Combined all items together and you’ll have your dipping sauce.

Methods:

1. Grind the onion by using a blender.
2. In a mixing bowl add all the ingredients together. Set aside.
3. Cut the beef in half if desire and mix with the sauce.
4. Cover it up and let it sit overnight in the refrigerator. It more flavorful this way.
5. Next day, drain the water completely.
6. Heat the grill to hot and add the butter to coat and melt the grill.
7. Add the beef to cook for a few minutes on each side.

Serve with steam rice and kimchi. I like to wrap mine in lettuce an kimchi with beef in between and dip in my special dipping sauce like shown above.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Taste Of Spice Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino