3 days ago
Monday, March 1, 2010
This is my favorite all time dessert! I love the sticky rice texture with the sweet and creamy blend of coconut milk and yummy durian fruit. If you wondering what kind of fruit durian is…well let just put it this way. It is an acquired taste. Neither you love it or hate. It have a very strong smell that some whom love it will say it pleasant and yummy smell and for those that hates it will say that it is stink! Durian is a spiky on the outside and yellow creamy flesh in the inside. It is consider an exotic Asian fruit that plentiful in all over Southeast Asian. And it also not good to over indulge in it, because it supposed to make you feel hot inside. Pregnant women are caution in eating too much of this fruit, it can causes heartburn. This learnt this is from experiences.
I personally grew up with this acquired taste and loved it. I can’t tell you enough how much love eating this fruit and all that made out of it. That why I do cherish and looking forward to this dessert every time I made. Of course it help, that my kids and husband love it too. That way I won’t be the only one indulging in it and gain the excess weight. Those of you who had this dessert before and enjoyed it, you know what I mean. Just love that creamy coconut-durian over nice, hot sticky rice. This is one of those dessert you have to eat with your eyes closed and let the flavor rolls off your tongue, because it is that good!
This is a very popular dessert among Lao, Thai, Cambodian part of Asian.
3 Pieces of durian frozen or fresh
1 Can of coco milk
3/4 Cup of sugar
2 Tbsp of palm sugar
Pinch of kosher salt
1 Cup of sticky rice soaked over night
1. Put the rice in a bamboo basket and steam for at least 30 minutes or until cook.
2. When the rice is cooking make the coconut and durian sauce.
3. Put the coconut milk in a pot and bring to boil and lower the heat to medium.
4. Stirred in the sugar and palm sugar and salt.
5. Pour almost half of the coconut sauce and set aside for the sticky rice.
6. Shred the durian and add into the coconut milk,
7. Bring it to boil again and turn off. Set aside.
8. When the rice is fully cooked, pour the coconut milk that was set aside and mix well.
9. To serve. Just put scope some rice and put on a plate and topped it with the coconut and durian sauce.
Voila it done and enjoy!