Beef and Shrimp Chow Mein

Saturday, March 27, 2010


Here another dishes that you can always find in your pantry. Well at least the noodle part and at least at my house. My pantry is stuffed. And by stuffed I mean like no room to walk stuffed. Lol So I like to be prepared. Can you blame me? Well anyway, I saw this in my pantry and I thought of making some good old comforting chow mein.

It quick and easy and super filling late night snack. There something about this noodle that is hard for me to resist. I love how combination of soy sauce and garlic make this noodle so enjoyable. This is one of those dishes that every Chinese fast food carried and they all have their own version and taste. Of course noodle is like rice to Asian people, every dishes neither accompany with steam rice or mein. Hi in carb with oh so worth it.
And if you’re used to eating this way, no other carb will do!

By the way, I like my food bold and sharp. Some who eat bland, will think that it too salty, but that just our difference in taste bud. So feel free to added or subtract any measurement on the sauce part. And another point I like to make is that dark soy sauce it more for look than flavor. It gives the meat or noodle dish browning color, making it look tasty and enticing. This is my must have ingredients, because I like to make my food look edible and not white or bland looking. I truly believed that if the food looks good, the message that it will send to your brain is that it taste good!



Ingredients:

1 Package dried or fresh noodle
1 Cup of cabbage sliced
½ Cup of yellow onions
½ cup of scallion sliced
1 Tbsp of minced garlic
1 Tbsp oyster sauce
1 Tbsp of rice wine
2 Tbsp of soy sauce ( or to taste)
2 Tbsp of dark soy sauce
½ Tsp of kosher salt
3 Dash of white pepper
1 Tbsp of corn starch
1 Tbsp of oil
1 Tbsp of sesame oil
1 Cup of rib eyes beef sliced
12 Shrimps clean and peel
½ Bunch of cilantro (life savor, make it smell nice)
1 Egg white

Methods:

* Soak and message the beef in the half of the corn starch and pinch of salt and half of the egg white and set aside for at least 1 hour. Do the same for the shrimp for the remaining cornstarch and egg white.

1. Bring water to boil and add the noodle, cook for 8 minute or until prefer texture.
2. Drain and set aside.
3. Put both vegetable oil and sesame oil in the wok heat to hot.
4. Add the minced garlic until slightly light brown. Add the onion until slightly brown.
5. Add the beef and stir in the soy sauce, salt, a bit of the dark soy sauce, oyster sauce and rice wine. Cook until brown and done.
6. Now add the cabbage and stir well until cook, about 2 minutes max..Too long will be over cook. You want it crunchy but cook.
7. Add in the noodle and cook for another 2 minutes or so then add the scallion and cilantro and remove from the hot stove.
8. Lastly, give 3 dash of white pepper for the nice spicy smell.

Served and enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Taste Of Spice Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino