Roast Duck

Saturday, February 20, 2010


Roast Duck

I have contemplated a long time what to make for Chinese New Year this year. Roast duck was one of the main dishes that I’ve decided to make due to the reason we haven’t had it since last year. As mention earlier, it is hard to get any authentic Asian cooking in my small town populations of 100,000. The closest to roast duck is a 5 to 6 hours drive and it doesn’t taste as good as the one I had in California. So I decided to experiment on my own roast duck and try to make it as close to home as possible.

Now I have always wanted to try to make roast duck, but I was very intermediated by the fact that it is very difficult to make. After much planning and drooling over it since, I decided that I’ll just wing it and whatever happens, happen. Lol

Upon deciding to go for it, I done some research on some recipes, but can’t seem to find the one that is closes to the one that I used to have in California. So by reflecting on that flavor before, I am able to come up with this recipe. I have to say that I was really happy that it came out right. The flavor was very bold and sharp, and it complimented the sweet and tangy sauce perfectly. I think I did a pretty good job, but the best part was that my sons and my hubby love it. So that all that count!

Now to prepared I did the following:


Ingredients:

1 Duck clean and dry
1 Half pieces of ginger minced
2 Tbsp of brown sugar or palm sugar
1 Tbsp of minced garlic
2 Tbsp of rice wine
3 Scallions
3 Star anises
4 Whole cloves
½ Tsp all spice
1 Tbsp dark soy sauce
2 to 3 drops red food coloring
1 Tbs corn starch
3 Tbs soy sauce
1 1/2 Tsp of kosher salt
Enough water for bottom of pan about ½ cup to 1cup

Dipping Sauce:

Juice of cook duck
1 Tbsp of plum sauce

Methods:

1. Clean and patted duck to dry with paper towel.
2. Rub the salt inside the duck marinated for at least 3 to 4 hours.
3. With a big needle poke hole in the duck skin, so that the marinate will absorb better. Mix the salt, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, food coloring, corn starch and all spice together and rub all over the duck and inside.
4. Cut the ginger and scallion and combine with the star anises and whole cloves and stuff inside duck. Sew it up.
5. Marinate over night.
6. Preheat the oven to 300 F on broil.
7. Bring water to boil,
8. Place the duck on rack over roast pan with the boiling water under it. Don’t let the duck touch the water.
9. Roast breast side up first for 45 minute then turn for another 50 minutes and turn temperature to 425 F for the last 20 minutes.
10. Remove and serve.


Dipping Sauce:

1. Using the juice from the duck, bring it to boil.
2. Add the plum and shimmer it on low until slightly thicken.
3. Removed, let it cool and served.

• Perfect with steam rice! Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Taste Of Spice Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino